Southern African Society for Medieval and Renaissance Studies Conference 26 – 28th August, 2016
We are pleased to announce that the 23rd biennial conference of SASMARS will be held at Mont Fleur in Stellenbosch, South Africa on 26 – 28th August 2016.
“Texts and Transformations: Medieval and Early Modern Cultures”
Medieval and Early Modern societies weathered various socio-cultural transformations, ranging from economic developments to religious conflicts, across a range of different geographies and in urban and rural spaces. How did poetry, theatre, prose, visual art, architecture, and other forms of art respond to such changes? How do we historically understand and assess various kinds of social transitions?
Topics for this conference can include but are not limited to:
- Adaptions of classical texts and artworks
- Translation of texts and ideas
- Contemporary readings of old texts
- Cross-cultural interactions and influences
- Historical transitions and periodisation
- Religious reform
- Urban renewal and development
- Medieval and Early Modern studies in contemporary education
- Appropriations of Medieval and Early Modern culture
- Cultural responses to economic change
- Representations of political dissent and rebellion
- Utopias and dystopias
- Gender, sexuality, and social change
Deadline: A conference proposal and a short biography to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 November 2015. Any inquires can be directed to the same email address.
The CFP has been posted to our website at http://sasmarsnewsletter.blogspot.com/
Please send other items for the newsletter to me by 12 July.