Assistant Curator, Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts
The Morgan Library invites applications for the position of Assistant Curator in the Department of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts. This is a two-year appointment with the possibility of renewal. The Assistant Curator organizes exhibitions, researches the collection, assists with collection development, cultivates donors and contributes to fundraising, performs reference services, inventories collections, maintains departmental acquisitions files, and creates or revises online records for collection items. The position will report to the department head of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts.
- Graduate degree in art history with an emphasis on illumination or medieval art, preferably a Ph.D.
- A minimum of two years experience in mounting manuscript exhibitions, writing and editing catalogues, both scholarly and popular, or the equivalent curatorial experience.
- Specialized knowledge of medieval and Renaissance manuscript illumination essential, as well as general familiarity with medieval and Renaissance art.
- Ability to organize exhibitions, write or edit catalogues and didactics, and give public lectures and tours.
- Ability to communicate and deal with a broad range of people in promoting the department’s collection, be they scholars, students, collectors, Fellows and Friends of the Morgan, or the public.
- Experience in public speaking.
- Reading knowledge of Latin, French, and German.
- Able to work for extended periods at a computer workstation.
- Able to lift moderately heavy boxes and books and move items to and from shelves.
- Able to climb ladders, wheel carts with collection items through the facility, and tolerate moderate levels of dust generated during normal activities and movement of objects.
Please e-mail a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org