Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts
The Morgan Library & Museum invites applications for a new position of Assistant Curator in the Department of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts. The Assistant Curator organizes exhibitions, researches the collection, hosts class visits and other educational activities, assists with collection development and acquisitions, cultivates donors and fundraising opportunities, performs reference services, inventories collections, maintains departmental files, and creates or revises records for collection items. The position reports to the Melvin R. Seiden Curator and Department Head of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts, and will work alongside the present Assistant Curator.
The Morgan Library & Museum is committed to diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Ph.D. in art history with an emphasis on manuscript illumination and medieval art required.
- Experience in museum work and/or the academic field of art history; curatorial experience in medieval manuscripts preferred.
- Specialized knowledge of medieval and Renaissance manuscript illumination essential, as well as general familiarity with medieval and Renaissance art.
- Ability to organize exhibitions, write and edit publications (both scholarly and popular) and didactics, and give public lectures and tours.
- Ability to communicate and deal with a broad range of people in promoting the department’s collection, be they scholars, students, collectors, Fellows and Friends of the Morgan, the department’s visiting committee, or the public.
- Proven record of independent scholarly research and publications of the highest standards; excellent writing skills.
- Knowledge of Latin and fluency in French, Italian, or German.
- Able to work for extended periods at a computer workstation.
· Able to lift moderately heavy boxes and books and move items to and from shelves.
· Able to climb ladders, wheel carts with collection items through the facility, and tolerate moderate levels of dust generated during normal activities and movement of objects
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Interested applicants should e-mail a cover letter, CV, and salary requirements to: email@example.com. The position has an anticipated start date on or after April 2019. Select candidates will be asked to supply writing samples and references. All inquires regarding the position should be addressed to the aforementioned email address. Please note that due to the high volume of applicants, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit our needs.
The Morgan is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed (religion), color, sex (including gender expression), national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, marital status or domestic violence victim status.
The Morgan Library & Museum is an equal access, equal opportunity employer.