Managing Editor of Byzantine Studies
What: Job opportunity
Where: Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection, Washington, D.C.
When: Position remains open until filled
Position Title: Managing Editor of Byzantine Studies
Supervisor: Director of Publications
Grade: 57, exempt
Hours: Full-time, 35 hours per week, Monday-Friday
To serve as editor of the journal Dumbarton Oaks Papers, and manage all aspects of production of Byzantine Studies publications such as symposia and colloquia conference proceedings, Dumbarton Oaks collections publications, and various other books in established series.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In your role as editor of Dumbarton Oaks Papers you will be responsible for evaluating submissions for the journal, determining whether each article is of suitable length, subject, and tone. In addition, you will evaluate the need for manuscript development and work with authors on needed changes to prepare articles for peer review. You will also work directly with the editorial board to conduct and manage double-blind peer review.
- In addition, you will conduct and manage double-blind peer review for all Byzantine scholarly books, and make sure that all concerns of peer reviewers have been met by authors and volume editors.
- Work with the director of publications to create and maintain reasonable production schedules to ensure projects are produced in a timely manner.
- See each edited volume, monograph, and the journal Dumbarton Oaks Papers through the publishing production process, from transmittal to final print production.
- Work with volume editors and authors to transmit all final files, text, and images for production in a timely manner, make sure all permissions are in place, and work with production manager to ensure all image files are ready for print production.
- Hire and manage contractors such as copyeditors, proofreaders, indexers, cartographers, and illustrators as needed, including setting reasonable schedules and writing contracts.
- Provide information, instructions, and schedules to the organizers of Dumbarton Oaks symposia and colloquia who hope to publish their proceedings as edited volumes.
- Write and administer contracts for volume editors, monograph authors, contributing authors in edited volumes, and journal article authors. Ensure that authors’ contractual obligations are met.
- Cleanup and prepare copyedited text files and send text and images to the graphic designer or type compositor.
- Review all proofs and traffic to multiple editors, authors, and contractors, compiling and marking up corrections for the compositor and making sure all corrections have been made.
- Write marketing (website and catalog) and jacket or cover copy for all volumes.
- Compile complimentary copy lists for reviewers, authors and contractors; send book announcements to specialized listservs; and apply for relevant book awards.
- Write monthly reports outlining the progress of all publications.
- Maintain publication submission guides and style guides.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Graduate degree in Byzantine studies or a cognate field.
- Five + years of experience as a manuscript editor or production editor in scholarly publishing, experience with mechanical and substantive editing of book-length manuscripts, experience with project management.
- Demonstrated experience in ancient Greek required.
- Familiarity with prevailing standards of documentation and advanced knowledge of the Chicago Manual of Style, 17th ed.
- PhD in Byzantine studies preferred.
- Other than ancient Greek, one or more other languages relevant to Byzantine studies highly preferred (e.g., Latin, French, German, Russian, modern Greek).
- Familiarity with trends and issues in Byzantine and medieval studies.
- Computer fluency and proficiency in onscreen editing techniques and fluency with Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Microsoft Word, is essential.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite strongly preferred.
- Ability to work with authors from different national and disciplinary backgrounds.
- Familiarity with copyright, publishing contracts, budgets, and workflows.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Superb organizational abilities, with keen attention to detail. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines. Flexibility and excellent interpersonal skills.
The position remains open until filled. Please forward résumé and cover letter detailing relevant
qualifications by clicking the link below. A copyediting test will be administered to finalists to determine skill, style, and proficiency.
Dumbarton Oaks is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).