The 2014 Annual Meeting of the Medieval Academy of America will be held jointly with the Medieval Association of the Pacific on 10-12 April, in Los Angeles at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and hosted by the UCLA Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies.
The Program Committee invites proposals for papers on all topics and in all disciplines and periods of medieval studies. Any member of the Medieval Academy may submit a paper proposal, excepting those who presented papers at the annual meetings of the Medieval Academy in 2012 and 2013; others may submit proposals as well but must become members in order to present papers at the meeting. Special consideration can be given to individuals whose specialty would not normally involve membership in the Medieval Academy.
The complete Call for Papers with additional information, submission procedures, selections guidelines, and organizers is available here.
Please contact Prof. Massimo Ciavolella at UCLA, if you have any questions.
- Encountering Byzantium: The Empire through the Gaze of Others
- Byzantine Art as a Site of Encounter
- Architecture and Encounter
- On Teaching the Middle Ages to K-12 [two sessions]
- Travel and Pilgrimage Literature
- The Postcolonial Encounter in Medieval English Literature
- The Traffic in Religions
- Encounters between Cultures: Conflicts and Conflict Resolution
- Medicine and Literature
- Shipwrecks and Shipping
- What’s New in Medieval Studies?
- Empires of Fantasy
- Encountering the Past and the Page in Medieval English Literature
- Digital Humanities
- Museums and the Presentation of the Middle Ages
- Medievalism: The Middle Ages in Film and Video Games
- Cartography: Visual Representation of Encounters
- Preconceptions of the World outside Europe
- Medieval Culture of Empire Language Communities
- Frederick II and the Islamic World
- Sites of Encounter: Armenia
- Sites of Encounter: Norman Sicily
- Sites of Encounter: North Africa
- Sites of Encounter: Iberia
- Scandinavians and Empire
- Queens, Empresses, and Women of Power
- Diversity of Religious Communities in the Medieval West
- Gifts and Exchange
- Travel to Different Worlds
- Ritual Encounters: Festivals, Processions, Parades and Triumphs
- Identifying Cultural Encounters and Networks from Archaeological Evidence
- German Manuscripts and Imperial Authority: Routes of Transmission
- Manuscript Illumination
- Rome’s Revival: Encounters with Rome in the Middle Ages
- Crusade Encounters
- Sites of Encounter in Medieval Literature