Response & Responsibility: Special Collections and Climate Change
Tuesday, June 18 – Friday, June 21, 2019
The Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) offers scholarships to subsidize first-time conference attendance by professional librarians, qualified paraprofessionals, and students. RBMS is currently accepting scholarship applications for the 2019 RBMSConference, Response & Responsibility: Special Collections and Climate Change, to be held in Baltimore, MD from June 18-21, 2019. The deadline to apply for scholarships is January 11, 2019 and applicants will be notified on or before March 1, 2019.
RBMS is committed to increasing diversity in its membership and the special collections and archives professions. Accordingly, several conference scholarships have been designated for applicants from underrepresented ethnic and racial groups or for those employed by institutions that primarily serve one or more of these groups. For more information about the RBMS commitment to diversity, please visit theRBMS website (http://rbms.info/diversity/). If you would like to donate to the RBMS conference scholarshipprogram, you may do so when you register for the conference, or separately through the Friends of ACRL website (http://www.ala.org/acrl/aboutacrl/givetoacrl/donate/friendsacrl). For the Friends site, please remember to indicate that the donation is for RBMS conference scholarships.
Full and partial scholarships are awarded. Full scholarships include a waiver of the conference registration fee (up to $295 for professional and paraprofessional ACRL members, or $140 for full-time student members) plus a travel and accommodation stipend. Partial scholarships provide complimentary registration and may or may not include a stipend.
All candidates must be:
1. Currently enrolled in a library, information science, or archival studies program; a graduate of such a program; OR currently employed as a paraprofessional in a rare books, special collections, or archives capacity; and,
2. Members of ACRL who have not previously attended an RBMS conference and who do not have sufficient institutional support to attend.
The Scholarships Committee will take into consideration the following criteria when reviewing applicants:
· Evidence of commitment to and interest in the special collections field
· Interest in contributing to the profession
· Potential to benefit professionally from attendance at the conference
· Financial need
· Member of an underrepresented racial or ethnic group, or employed by an institution that primarily serves one or more of these groups.
Scholarship recipients are required to attend the entire conference and complete the conference evaluation. To help us ensure the ongoing improvement of the scholarship program, all scholarship winners will be required to submit a post-conference evaluation letter by July 31, 2019.
The deadline to apply is January 11, 2019 (11:59pm PST). Please see the RBMS Conference website for more details and to apply: http://conference.rbms.info/2019/scholarships/.