Connecticut College is extending its search for the College Archivist/Librarian for Special Collections position. This position will manage the College Archives and records management program, recommend policies, plan and implement procedures, provide reference and instruction services for the College Archives and Special Collections and serve as the Archives’ principal contact with administrative and academic offices.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
The College Archivist/Librarian for Special Collections will collaborate with the Director of the Lear Center for Special Collections and Archives in planning departmental activities, creating and managing digital projects and developing grant proposals for the Lear Center; manage the Lear Center and provide service in Special Collections in the Director’s absence; set archival processing goals for Lear Special Collections Librarian with responsibility for supervision in fulfilling those goals.
They will work with College offices to identify, evaluate and preserve important legal and administrative documents, materials and information relevant to the history of the college and collect, arrange, describe, and index material. They will also promote and facilitate efficient record keeping practices; survey records and create and update retention schedules in conjunction with College officials; maintain records according to Society of American Archivists guidelines, federal and state legislation, and agreements with individual departments; provide security for confidential, restricted or legal documents; in conjunction with legal counsel and other officers of the College, create review and update access policies and guidelines for using the College Archives.
They will assist College community and outside researchers to access archival resources; assist with physical and digital exhibits, events and programs; perform research for other offices as necessary. They will provide instruction and assistance to classes and promote integration of special collections and archival material into the curriculum. The College Archivist/Librarian for Special Collections will also assist in content development for and design of the Lear Center’s web site and social media efforts, participate in the planning and execution of digital scholarship projects for the Lear Center and collaborate with the Digital Scholarship and Curriculum Center on College digital scholarship initiatives.
The College Archivist/Librarian for Special Collections will also be required to maintain current professional and technical knowledge through training and participation in professional organizations and publications and serve on Library, College and Consortium committees, task forces and activity groups.
– ALA accredited masters degree in library or information studies and at least 3 years of applicable archival experience including records management
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to build and sustain key relationships with alumni, outside researchers, faculty, students, staff, community and professional colleagues
– The ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and excellent knowledge of archival theory and methodology and records management practice
– Excellent interpersonal skills, excellent organization skills and ability to set priorities and keep to deadlines
– Computer skills, including the use of integrated library systems, archival management systems, information databases, standard productivity software and archival digitizing equipment and techniques, EAD,
– Some travel required
– Experience with instruction and outreach using primary source materials
– Experience with digital scholarship initiatives
– Familiarity with web editing software
Salary Range: upper 50s to lower 60s. This is a twelve-month position with excellent benefits and substantial paid time off.
To apply, please go to https://conncoll.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=50624. This position will close on January 25, 2019.