AAR invites applications for the 2022 Rome Prize competition!
For over a century, the American Academy in Rome has awarded the Rome Prize to support innovative and cross-disciplinary work in the arts and humanities. Each year, the prize is given to approximately thirty artists and scholars who represent the highest standard of excellence in their fields. Rome Prize winners, who receive a stipend, room and board, and individual work space at AAR’s eleven-acre campus, are the core of the Academy’s residential community, which includes Affiliated Fellows and Residents.
Rome Prizes are awarded in the following disciplines:
- Ancient Studies
- Design (includes graphic, industrial, interior, exhibition, set, costume, and fashion design, urban design, city planning, engineering, and other design fields)
- Historic Preservation and Conservation
- Landscape Architecture (includes environmental design and planning, landscape/ecological urbanism, landscape history, sustainability and ecological studies, and geography)
- Medieval Studies
- Modern Italian Studies
- Musical Composition
- Renaissance and Early Modern Studies
- Visual Arts (includes painting, sculpture, drawing, photography, film, video, installation, new media, digital art, and other genres)
The application deadline is Monday, November 1, 2021. To read the guidelines and begin your application, please visit aarome.org/apply/rome-prize.