ASSISTANT TO THE DIRECTOR
OF THE ATHENIAN AGORA EXCAVATIONS
Position in Athens
Deadline: September 1, 2022
Term: A full-time position beginning in October 2022 for three years, with the possibility of renewal.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience.
Qualifications: Candidates should hold a PhD in Archaeology, Classics, or a related field or else have experience working with the Greek Ministry of Culture, and be fluent in Modern Greek and English. Knowledge of the history, topography, and culture of Athens in the past, broadly defined, preferred.
- To help the Director in the day-to-day administration of the business of the excavations and to stand in for the Director when needed. Reports to the Director of the Agora Excavations.
- To liaise with members of the Greek Ministry of Culture at all levels in the business and priorities of the excavations.
- To work closely with the staff of the Agora Excavations in assisting scholars and students working in the Athenian Agora or on material from the Agora Excavations.
- To help with the planning and execution of the excavations and to assist the Director and other staff of the Agora Excavations in the post-excavation work of the project throughout the year.
- To participate in the academic community of the American School and maintain an active research agenda.
Application: Please submit letter of application and curriculum vitae (up to three pages in length) online here. Applicants should also include a brief statement of research interests and likely area(s) of research to be pursued during the initial tenure of the position. Three letters of recommendation are required. Upon submission of the online application, recommenders will be sent an automated email with instructions about how to submit their confidential letters of recommendation. Applicants may choose to send the request at any time by clicking the “Send Request Now” button on the online application form. To ensure the timely receipt of letters of recommendation, candidates should contact recommenders well ahead of the deadline indicating that such a reference request will be forthcoming. Recommenders may also send letters directly to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is September 1, 2022.
Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org