The History of Medicine Collections in the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library at Duke University is pleased to announce our new travel grant program.
The History of Medicine Collections offers research grants of up to $1,000 to researchers whose work would benefit from access to the historical medical collections at the Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library. Our holdings include over 20,000 print items and 4,500 unique manuscripts along with prints, photographs, and approximately 500 medical instruments and artifacts including a large collection of ivory anatomical manikins. Collection strengths include but are not limited to pediatrics, psychiatry, human sexuality, yellow fever, and materia medica.
Any faculty member, graduate or undergraduate student, or independent scholar with a research project requiring the use of materials held by the History of Medicine Collections is eligible to apply. All applicants must reside outside of a 100-mile radius of Durham, NC.
We encourage each prospective grant applicant to discuss his or her research project and the collections that might support it with the Curator before submitting an application.
The travel grant may cover:
- Transportation expenses, including air, train, or bus ticket charges; car rental; mileage using a personal vehicle; and parking fees
- Review the application instructions carefully. A sample application form is available as a PDF for reference purposes only.
- Complete the online application form, which includes your C.V. (You may start the form and return to it later, but it must be completed within a week from the same computer and browser.)
- Graduate and undergraduate students must ask a faculty advisor to write them a letter of recommendation. We will not consider an application complete until we receive the recommendation.
- Advisors may submit a letter of recommendation as an e-mail attachment to email@example.com or mail a hardcopy letter to:
History of Medicine Collections
Attn: Research Grant Program
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Durham, NC 27708-0185
The deadline for applications is January 31, 2014 by 5:00 PM EST. Grant recipients will be announced by March 28, 2014. Grants must be used between April 2014 and June 2015.